Scientific Libraries in Python

Horatio Davis horatio at qpsf.edu.au
Wed Nov 28 05:23:33 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> SciPy is aiming to be as complete as possible --- but this really means, a
> complete set of interfaces and defined user-interactions, with reference
> implementations, and tests, and a packaging structure that allows other
> packages to be inserted in and potentially maintained by other people.

This is the ideal. A single coherent structure, where people can wander up
and contribute the things they are interested in, and get the things they
want, with much less pain than the current anarchy.

> Many of the GSL routines are already in SciPy.  Here is a detailed list:
[snip snip snip snip SNIP]
> So, asided from a few specialized applications, most everything in the
> GSL is already included in SciPy.  It wouldn't take long to add the extra
> functionality if there were a demand for it.

The point is well made, and thank you for taking the time to do it so
thoroughly. If the things that the GSL is good for are already in SciPy,
and already playing nicely with Numeric arrays, then we don't need the
GSL. Removing that and PyGSL leaves only Scigraphica and MayaVi with full
GPL on the "essential packages" list. (Upon a reread, GNU MP is LGPL'd).
This is actually starting to look possible...

> Any takers?

My, what a lovely deafening silence you induced. (:

Like everyone else who's listening, I only really have the time to scratch
my own personal itches. These would be things like the missing constants,
and the MayaVi/SciPy and Scigraphica/SciPy bridging code.

Cheers,

AHD