Non-Indented python

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Nov 28 22:59:53 EST 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim at zope.com> wrote ...
> [Chris Barker]
> > After reading a whole lot of sometimes ugly bickering, it seems to me
> > that most of us Python users do agree on one thing:
> >
> > Mixing tabs and spaces is a BAD idea.
>
> Yup.
>
> > If it is true that there is general consensus about this, is there any
> > movement to disallow it altogether in the Python interpreter?
>
> Nope.  The "nanny" in "tabnanny" is there for a reason:  grownups have no
> problems here.
>
> > Personally, I would prefer that future versions of Python would allow
> > ONLY tabs or ONLY spaces, but clearly there would be a major
> > disagreement about which to use.
>
> It would be spaces -- "4-space indents, no hard tab characters anywhere"
is
> the coding standard for the Python library.  Tools/scripts/reindent.py is
> routinely run over the Lib directory to ensure it stays that way, too.
>
> there-hasn't-been-anything-real-to-argue-about-here-since-
>     1993<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim

Nice to see you raise your head above the parapet, Tim. Hope 2.2 isn't
keeping you awake more than 24 hours a day. Can you confirm my suspicion
that the asyncore/asynchat libraries (or something I used recently from 2.0)
had mixed tabs & spaces?

since-this-is-c.l.py-lack-of-controversy-won't-stop-anyone-
        arguing-<wink-back>-ly y'rs  - steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/