time.daylight (Daylight Saving Time)

Matthew Dixon Cowles matt at mondoinfo.com
Mon Nov 5 12:43:58 EST 2001

On Mon, 05 Nov 2001 13:59:39 +0100, Richard van de Stadt
<stadt at cs.utwente.nl> wrote:

>Hi,

Hi!

>I'm using time.tzname[time.daylight] to display the time zone. This worked
>fine as long a Daylight Saving Time (DST) was valid

[. . .]

>However, now that DST is over, time.daylight keeps on being 1 (on the
>5 systems located in different time zones that I've tried).

I think you're misinterpreting dime.daylight. At

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-time.html

it says:

daylight
  Nonzero if a DST timezone is defined.

I think you want something more like:

>>> import time
>>> timeTuple=time.localtime(time.time())
>>> time.tzname[timeTuple[8]]
'CST'

You might want to check that daylight is nonzero first.

Regards,
Matt