No, not THAT Python, THIS Python!

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Nov 19 02:56:26 EST 2001

    BO> Hi; My server has 2 installations of python: 1.5 and
    BO> 2.1.1. Now that Zope uses 2+, I've switched everything
    BO> over. I'd like to install Tkinter, but when I try to install
    BO> the rpm for 2.1.1 I get an error instructing me that I need
    BO> Python 2.1.1 in order to proceed. How do I inform Linux (RH
    BO> 7.1) that I do indeed have python2-2.1.1?  TIA, BenO

I guess you installed Python-2.1.1 from a source tarball?  If that is
the case, you could simply rebuild/re-install 2.1.1 along with Tkinter
support.

If OTOH your Python-2.1.1 was installed from an RPM its likely that
the rpm you installed is broken or the tkinter rpm you are trying to
install is looking for a different rpm to be installed.  You can try
and search for an appropriate rpm from rpmfind.net.

AFAIK, there is no way you can tell a packaging system about stuff you
install outside of the system.

prabhu