Python in a hospital application please help

Gillou nospam at bigfoot.com
Sat Nov 10 16:07:11 EST 2001

Hmmm... Not easy but

You can compile python with SSL support for security but dunno if your app
can connect to the database through SSL (not a pythonic issue).
If your application (clients + server) are in a firewalled Intranet, you
don't need more than classical user/password security. Encryption should not
add sensitive security to your data.

Using DB API 2.0 compliant Python adapters, you'll loose less time porting
your application than transfering *safely* data  between (say) Interbase and
MySQL ;-)
Look at http://www.python.org/topics/database/

Same thing with Zope, you can change the Database DA with few adapttion
effort as long as your app plays with standard SQL.
In addition, Zope enables to use its objects through a browser as well a
through a client app that talks XML-RPC

Dunno for the pool of database connections (depends on technologies) but
AFAIK some Zope DAs are supposed to deal with it (distributing dynamically a
live db connection to client threads)
Make your shopping here http://www.zope.org/Products/external_access (free)
But open source database engines like MySQL and Postgresql scale very well.
You'd better use one of those and keep your money for a good data server an
backup device than giving all these $$$ to Oracle or Microsoft.

Hope this helps

--Gillou

mailman.1005415299.17379.python-list at python.org...