Running phyton on 50Mips RISC doable?

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Thu Nov 1 06:45:55 EST 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Cor wrote:

> It is an application with 50Mips Risc processor, with little
> (and slow) memory. So when I want to run the python interpreter
> on this machine, will it be terrible slow? And more inportant: how
> mauch memory will I need? a few K? a few hondred K?
> Is it difficult to port the code such that it will run on this machine?
> (It uses gcc compiler)

IIRC an i486 @ 100MHz is of this order or less.  I run Python on a FreeBSD
box with such a processor quite satisfactorily.  It is built in that
environment using gcc, and the base interpreter uses about 1.5MB of VM
IIRC (which can probably be trimmed somewhat).

Python is quite portable, with just some support modules being fairly
specific to particular architechtures.  In its current form, Python is
very attached to a file system for storing library modules.

There is also Pippy - a port of Python to PalmOS, which might give you
some ideas.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia