problems with DBM nonuniformity

Jason R. Mastaler jason-dated-1007831845.6c6a51 at mastaler.com
Fri Nov 30 12:17:24 EST 2001

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

> Seems to me the natural thing to do would be to add
> "get_data_filename" and "get_index_filename" methods (or something
> similar) to the underlying modules (dbhash, bsddb, dbm, etc) and
> expose them through anydbm.

I see.  So you agree that with the current implementation, there isn't
a reliable way to do what I'm trying to do with DBM?

> It's too late for 2.2, but I suspect if you implemented something
> and method name(s) could be settled on it would make it into CVS
> early in the 2.3 cycle.  This seems like a small enough change that
> you just file a bug report on SourceForge with the proposal and add
> an implementation when you have something workable.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to this, but I'll put it on my
TODO list.  In the meantime, I think I'll just support the auto
regeneration feature I mentioned with CDB[1] instead of DBM since its
file interface is consistent across platforms.

Footnotes:
1.  python-cdb extension module (http://pilcrow.madison.wi.us/)

--
(TMDA - http://tmda.sourceforge.net)