Indenting with tabs vs spaces

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Wed Nov 21 22:32:46 EST 2001

In article <mailman.1006387828.11756.python-list at python.org>,
 "Peoter Veili" <peoter_veliki at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Indenting with tabs can be done such that it will look the same on every
> editor that uses fixed-width fonts, meaning everything will line up
> correctly, it least in the sense that really matters.  Here's an example of
> what I mean:
>

>     function helloThere("hello",
>                                        "there"){
>     }

I viewed your message with fixed-width fonts, and it came out unaligned as
you see above.  So I think your claim that "it will look the same on every
editor" is false, and it is safer to stick with spaces only.
--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/