Non-Indented python

Michael Abbott michael at rcp.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 07:13:20 EST 2001

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak at knm.org.pl> wrote in
news:slrna0d40v.ugq.qrczak at qrnik.zagroda:

> Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:05:19 -0800, Chris Barker <chrishbarker at home.net>
> pisze:
>
>> I often start working on a file I got from elsewhere with tabs in
>> it, get some wierd error, eventually think to check for tabs. Then
>> I run a script on it, clean it up, and all is well.
>
> This problem doesn't exist if you use 8 as the tab width because then
> the apperance is consistent with semantics.

Until you (or, more likely, someone else) run the source through an editor
which happens to be configured for a different tab size and which happens
to also be configured to convert tabs back to spaces (this is how MSVC
interprets "expand tabs as spaces").

This has happened to me (with C), and the result is completely unreadable.

I ban tab characters whenever I have the opportunity.