PHP vs. Python/comp.lang.php?

Max M maxm at normik.dk
Fri Nov 23 03:51:06 EST 2001

"jcrowe" <jason at jcrowedesign.com> wrote in message
news:iXlL7.966$mF3.18471 at eagle.america.net...

> As far as I know you are stuck with cgi pages. CGI isn't really bad. there
> are lots of good web apps written using CGI & Perl. But in my opinion it's
> like riding a bike when you have the keys to a car.

This I don't really understand.

You can use Python in ASP, no problem. Even though you have to code a little
different than you do in VB/JScript.

Also the cgi module makes it very easy to write webpages in Python. At least
as easy as VBScript in asp I think.

Usually more, as VB/Jscript has no libraries and you have to spend most of
your time surfing the web for semi-functional ActiveX components. Even for
something as simple as file upload and jpeg rescaling.

Not being able to make an ugly mess of your code by mixing it with html is
really not a problem. Furthermore if you use something like mod_python,
speed is not the problem.

As soon as you go a little bit deeper asp quickly looses it's glory and ease
of use.

With Python on the other hand there are severel different open frameworks
you can use to develop your apps in. Zope being the most famous one.

Regards Max M