Should we trust .NET? (was Re: PHP vs. Python/comp.lang.php?)

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Tue Nov 27 20:18:48 EST 2001

Ken Seehof <kseehof at neuralintegrator.com> graced us by uttering:
[ snip ]
> It has never been in MS's best interest to be compatible with the
> rest of the computing world.

More precisely, it's never been in Bill's pocketbook's best interest
to be compatible with the rest of the world.

It's _always_ been in MS's best interest to be compatible. There's
more than enough money in the industry to support Microsoft and any
other vendors.

MS starts to lose market share. Then spends a lot of money convincing
everyone they need _them_ and _only_them_, just to regain the market
share they lost.  This becomes a cycle which strongly resembles an
addicts craving cycle.  They spend more just to support their habit (of
making more money), and over time their net profit approaches zero.

If they became known as reliable, honest merchants in the industry,
they lose a bit gross to begin with, but ultimately it would result
in more net income. ;)

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."
    (Dennis Miller)

Tim Hammerquist
--
Anyone who thinks that the act of programming is worth
less than $50/hr should leave the industry.