Obfuscator for Python?

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 12 18:28:34 EST 2001

On Monday 12 November 2001 15:03, Amitabh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if there are any products which obfuscate the python
> byte code so that it cant be reverse engineered easily?

Somehow, I doubt obfuscating the byte code would be a good idea...

If you are really concerned about this, you could encrypt your modules and
write a custom import routine.  Obviously, you can't encrypt the encryption
routine, so the only way to make it somewhat difficult would be to have the
decryption routine either as a C module or modify the Python interpreter to
use it.  But really, none of these things will prevent a determined person
from obtaining the byte-code (binaries can be reverse-engineered as well).

BTW, this is what copyrights are for.

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer