map, filter, reduce, zip, range, and.. slice?

George Demmy gdemmy at layton-graphics.com
Thu Nov 1 13:08:13 EST 2001

Skip Montanaro writes:

 >     George> Eddie's solution in the lambda notation...
 >
 >     George> divide = lambda x,s=1: [ x[i:i+s] for i in range(0,len(x),s) ]
 >     George> Love them lambdas...
 >
 > Just out of curiosity, what's the advantage you perceive of lambda over
 >
 >     def divide(x, s=1):
 >         return [ x[i:i+s] for i in range(0,len(x),s) ]
 >
 > in this situation?
 >
 > --
 > Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com)
 > http://www.mojam.com/
 > http://www.musi-cal.com/

Hi Skip,

There is no "Pythonic" advantage to this representation of which I
know -- I rather suspect there are some serious performance hits with
the lambda form. The orginal poster had mentioned that he was doing a
lot of hacking using nested lambda forms -- he obviously *not*
interested in maximizing Python performance! I just thought it was
interesting to generalize Eddie's "divide" pattern using a lambda form.

Cheers!

George Demmy
Layton Graphics, Inc