[Python-Dev] Re: [Import-sig] Re: Proposal for a modified import mechanism.

Michel Pelletier michel at zope.com
Mon Nov 12 18:10:18 EST 2001

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> Are the needs of application authors different than library authors?

This is the best place to start, almost everyone on this list plays both
roles to one degree or another.  I've read Prabhu's emails and I
understand his problem.  He's explained it a couple of times, but in
general users and their needs have been unclear which I think spawned
most of this discussion.

I'm actually sort of interested in more about the idea of 'looking up'
for packages that Prabhu mentioned and think it could be very useful.
In Zope we call this "acquisition" and we use this pattern many, many
times to override general site  policies and objects with more specific
ones the farther "down" you go in the object heirarchy.  This not only
gives us a nice customization model, but it also gives us a nice
delegation model, ie, those responsible on high (that's all of you) can
dictate what is and is not the standard library "policy" and users below
you (that's me and all the other lusers) can specificly override that
mandate at a lower level without interfering with other users.

-Michel