Benefits of moving from Python to Common Lisp?

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Mon Nov 12 18:25:12 EST 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:06:43 -0600, Manoj Plakal wrote:
[macros]
>          I'm curious (I haven't done much programming in Lisp).
>          Doesn't this make CL programs harder to read?

No.

In the hands of a bad programmer, macro-laden source is a true horror, but
this doesn't change anything: a bad programmer's source is a horror
whether he uses macros or not.  In the hands of a good programmer, though,
macro allow you to grow the language closer to the solution domain, so
that your solution can look natural and clear to people who understand the
problem.

So there's a lot to gain, and not much to lose.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley