Is Stackless Python DEAD?

Michael Abbott michael at rcp.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 03:17:18 EST 2001

Martin von Loewis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote in
news:j4d72xasx0.fsf at informatik.hu-berlin.de:

> Michael Abbott <michael at rcp.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Can you describe what you mean by "intrusive" in this context?
>
> The patches changes nearly everything in the core interpreter, and it
> is not clear whether all these changes are really necessary and for
> the better.
>
> It *is* clear that some things just cannot continue to work as they
> did. Is just isn't clear (to me) that all the complexity that the
> stackless patch adds is really necessary.

> Regards,
> Martin

Hmm.  Sounds tricky.  It'd be interesting to find time to take a detailed
look; after all, we're only talking about eight .c files and seven .h
files, I think.

Is there any dialogue with Christian Tismer (the original author) on this
now?  He seems to have kept quite a detailed commentary on his ideas in
the heading to continuationmodule.c, so it may be possible to reconstruct
what's going on from there.

Umm.  Well I for one need to go away and think about this, but let me end
with the following question for Python kernel experts:

    	Is the idea of "Stackless Python" fundamentally sound?