Tkinter and IDE's

Don Arnold darnold02 at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 20 21:46:15 EST 2001

Here's the simple code I was trying to run (from 'Programming Python', 2nd
ed):

from Tkinter import *

def quit():
  print "Hello, I must be going"
#  import sys
#  sys.exit()
  root.quit()

root = Tk()
widget = Button(root, text="Hello, event world", command = quit)
widget.pack()
root.mainloop()

When I run it in IDLE, the tk window pops fine. Clicking the button once
outputs the message to the interactive window as expected, but doesn't
shutdown the tk window.  Clicking the button a second time shuts down the tk
window, and IDLE along with it. I just found that if I delete(root) in the
interactive window before the 2nd click, the tk window closes and I raise a
NameError exception on 'root', but at least IDLE stays up and running.

If I replace root.quit() with sys.exit(), clicking on the button prompts me
with a dialog box that asks if I want to exit altogether. If I answer 'yes',
both the tk window and IDLE close (not too surprising). If I answer 'no',
the tk window remains up, this traceback is generated:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python21\mystuff\gui3.py", line 13, in ?
    root.mainloop()
  File "j:\idi\windows-x86\ActivePython-2.1.0-210\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py",
  line 933, in mainloop
    self.tk.quit()
  File "j:\idi\windows-x86\ActivePython-2.1.0-210\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py",
  line 1290, in __call__
SystemExit

and the interactive window is responsive. Once again, clicking the button a
second time (without first deleting root) shuts down the whole shooting
match.

Using either root.quit or sys.exit(), if I forego using my widget button to
exit and instead click on the Windows close button, the tk window closes,
but IDLE doesn't return to an interactive prompt and I can only exit it by
killing it via Task Manager. If I click on my widget button first, and then
Windows' close, the tk window closes and IDLE functions normally. I suppose
this is an okay workaround, but it isn't very pretty.

Sorry for being vague earlier.

Hope this helps,
Don