odbc: how to call a stored function in Oracle

Bill Tate tatebll at aol.com
Thu Nov 8 08:42:06 EST 2001

Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote in message news:<j66kutg7m8s1q311igl6jmndtgdjkgu2jm at 4ax.com>...
> tom.hines at usa.net (Tom Hines) wrote:
> >
> >Hi.  I'm using ActivePython 2.1.212 and MS ODBC driver for Oracle.  I
> >am able to call a stored procedure that returns a cursor, but I
> >haven't been able to figure out how to call a stored function or a
> >procedure that has an output parameter.
>
> I don't think ODBC supports stored procedures returning a value directly.
> Only as part of a cursor.
>
> I also don't know Oracle; it is possible for you to restate that as a
> SELECT statement with a constant, one-row result, as in:
>
>     SELECT Call MYPKG.MYFUNC (?) AS result;

Tom,
I've run into the identical problem in the past.  DCOracle is
frequently used to accessing stored procedures in Oracle using ZOPE -
while I've never used it for this particular problem, it appears to
support essentially what amounts to a function call.  Someone else
perhaps can speak to this directly.  In any event, suggest checking
out http://www.zope.org/Products/DCOracle/DCOracle.txt -

Now if there one for postgre as well - time for google.