[Python-Dev] Re: [Import-sig] Re: Proposal for a modified import mechanism.

Barry A. Warsaw barry at zope.com
Mon Nov 12 17:32:27 EST 2001

    JH> I'd rather see the imports be explicit "import root.a.b.c"
    JH> than "import b.c".  Then re-nesting requires all the import
    JH> statements to be edited.  It's more typing and might even
    JH> require a simple script to do search-and-replace, but it
    JH> doesn't sound like a prohibitive burden.

Note that applications can achieve the same thing without editing code
by doing sys.path manipulations.

    JH> I expect there is more to the issue than just wanting to avoid
    JH> some extra typing.  A short PEP that describes the specific
    JH> problems being solved and discussing alternatives would help.

Indeed.  We've been here before (perhaps, several "befores" :).  Every
time this comes up I get the feeling like there are easy ways to
accomplish what you want if you think of the problem differently, or
I'm missing something fundamental about the problem, and/or the
problem has never been specified identified, or people are trying to
solve too many problems at once.

Are the needs of application authors different than library authors?

-Barry