Win98 PySol problem

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 26 16:55:37 EST 2001

Bill Melcher:

> Unfortunately, Python seems to mess up the DOS redirection so that in the
> command line above, the '>python.txt' fragment creates the .txt file in
C:\
> but the output is not redirected to that file. The ability to specify "|
> more" is also crippled by python.  I caught the console output by using
the
> Pause key and typing what I saw into an editor.
>
> This 'failure' to allow redirection is the reason why I have problems
> capturing the stdout and errout using redirection.  If I use the Pause key
> often enough, maybe I can see at least some of the error messages. :-)

   Standard error can be captured on Windows 2000 with 2>:
python --help 2> p.txt
   and should be passable through more with 2|:
python --help 2| more
   although the output is too short to see it happen.

   This worked on some earlier versions of Windows but unsure which or how
well.
   One of the more recent features of my SciTE editor
(http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html) is to allow typing command lines into
the output pane making it easy to retrieve the combined text from the output
and error streams. It can't handle running interactive scripts, though. Yet.

   Neil