Still on python GUI toolkit

Laurent Pointal laurent.pointal at laposte.net
Wed Nov 21 15:09:36 EST 2001

Markus Schaber <use-net at schabi.de> wrote in
news:20011120221358.3e520125.use-net at schabi.de:

> Hi,
>
> Am 20 Nov 2001 18:20:50 GMT schrieb Laurent Pointal:
>
>> For our futur projects (I work at on beamlines at LURE, Orsay-France),
>> we may go to the following architecture (still to be tested and
>> evaluated):
>>

>>                 GUI in Java
>>                     | CORBA ORB for Java (OpenORB or other)
>>                     | CORBA ORB for Python (omniORBpy)
>>               scripting and processing in Python
>
> Did you thing about using Jython? You could click the gui objects
> together using your favourite RAD tool, and then use this gui out of a
> Jython program.

I know about Jython, but we need to access C extension module (to interface
with libraries dealing with hardware & Co), and I dont think C extension
modules are usable with Jython.

I've seen a thing named JPE (if I remember), which may be better for our
need (a Java VM in Python and a Python VM in Java).

But using CORBA is if interest for us (remote control).

A+
Laurent.