data size

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Nov 9 06:56:11 EST 2001

"harry" <hartanto at telusplanet.net> writes:

> if you put data into dictionary, how do we calculate the data size?

Why do you want to know?  It's not usually an interesting question to
ask in Python.

> key:data
>
> example:
>
> dict = {"key1":1,2,3,4; "key2": "hello", [1,2,3]}

> how much is the data structure will cost?

Err, lets see, a (small) dict is about 9*4 + 8*(3*4) = 124 bytes
the four character strings will be about 5*4 + 4 = 24 bytes
the list object will be about 30 bytes I think, similar for the tuple.

Small integers are preallocated and so cost nothing.

So the total for the above object is probably a couple of hundred
bytes.

I'm not sure how accurate the above is -- and I don't really care --
but it should give you an idea.

> how to calculate it?

Don't :)  Memory is cheap.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Never meddle in the affairs of NT. It is slow to boot and quick to
  crash.                                             -- Stephen Harris