IsPython really O-O?

Matt Gerrans mgerrans at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 13 01:28:05 EST 2001

Tim Hammerquist <tim at vegeta.ath.cx> wrote

> If you really need to raise a discussion, the posters
> comp.lang.smalltalk...

Okay, I'm off to the smalltalk group to declare that "Python is more OO than
Smalltalk!"   Who will ensure that I get a decent burial?

> $ cat debate
> #!/usr/local/bin/python
>
> assert time is infinite
> steve = Zealot(SmallTalk)
> matt  = Advocate(Python)
>
> while isinstance(steve, Zealot):
>     try:
>         matt.argue()
>         if isconvinced(steve):
>             break
>         pigs.fly()
>         steve.say("I'm not convinced.")
>     except:
>         steve.say("Hah! You can't prove it!")
>
> $ chmod 700 debate
> $ debate and echo "They all lived happily ever after."

Cute, I like it!   (although I don't claim to be a Python Advocate -- I
advocate using the best tool for the job, which means the more tools you know
how to use, the better your odds are).

- mfg