ssl error

Gerhard =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4ring?= gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Sun Nov 18 03:15:09 EST 2001

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 01:38:47AM -0600, Reid Nichol wrote:
> Gerhard H?ring wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 01:40:22PM -0600, Reid Nichol wrote:
> >> I got a client/server app that I am triing to build and am having
> >> problems.
> >> [snip]
> >
> > The Python builtin SSL doesn't support servers, but only SSL clients.
> > [...]

> Do you know if there is any plans to fix this issue?

I've started a discussion about fixing Python's SSL on python-dev. But I'm very
short on time currently. Most probably, the next-generation SSL support
(whenever this will happen) will be either a rewrite or an integration of an
existing external SSL package.

That being said, there's a patch floating around at Sourceforge to add SSL
server support to the current codebase. I've recommended not to add it, as the
current interface is broken enough as it is. Here's the link:
http://sf.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=305470&func=detail&aid=452110

Python 2.2 will only contain bugfixes (much better error handling, Windows
fixes, memory leak fixes and nonblocking IO) for the current client-side
support, but no new functionality.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0