Non-Indented python

Michael Abbott michael at rcp.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 07:15:55 EST 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim at zope.com> wrote in
news:mailman.1006987971.23934.python-list at python.org:

>> Personally, I would prefer that future versions of Python would allow
>> ONLY tabs or ONLY spaces, but clearly there would be a major
>> disagreement about which to use.
>
> It would be spaces -- "4-space indents, no hard tab characters
> anywhere" is the coding standard for the Python library.
> Tools/scripts/reindent.py is routinely run over the Lib directory to
> ensure it stays that way, too.

Please, please, it would be helpful if Python had a (configuration
settable) option to reject tabs in all source.  I'm glad to hear you work
to keep tabs out of the Python sources, but a little more direct help from
Python to prevent them creeping into my sources when someone else edits
would be very helpful.