11-15 new Python Books on the way!

Ron Stephens rdsteph at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 25 18:08:56 EST 2001

A few days ago I posted book reviews on the 15 Python books I have read.
Embarrassed by having read so many, and wondering how close I was to
"completion", I decided to do some research and see how many total
Python books were out there and how many more were soon to be published.
I have now chronicled all I could find on my website.

There are fully 11 new Python books I found, three at book stores, which
another 8 more coming almost immediately! These new books include a
Deitel and Deitel, two Python/web books, a text processing book, two XML
books, and a lot more. That makes 15 + 11 = 26.

And that doesn't even count the 3 newish Zope books I found and the one
Jython book due out next month.

Nor does it count the old Python and the Internet (by Guido et. al. and
out of print) and the hoped for Alex Martelli Python Cookbook and Python
in a Nutshell, nor a possible Bruce Eckels book.

15 + 11 + 4 +1 +3  = 34 possible Python books, and I didn't count two
that I found with Python in the title along with other languages!

Truly a surfeit of books. But, for what it is worth, I have listed all I
could find out about them all at http://www.awaretek.com/plf.html

I would appreciate it if anyone would send me a review of any of the new
books, once they have read them, so I can add it to the website and also
because it will help me decide which of the new ones to purchase.

Any question of being a completeness freak and trying to own them all
went out of my head when I saw how many are coming!

But it would be nice to keep a log of book reviews of all the books;
including if anyone disagrees with my reviews of any of the original 15,
I would like to post that too out of fairness.

Also I have now posted there a much more complete report on the
Lightweight Languages Conference held at MIT a week ago Saturday.

Looking back on how I spent my Thanksgiving week I am embarrassed to
have spent so much time on this. I apologize for wasting bandwidth on
here asking folks to look at what I did, but as I go back to work now I
will just leave it there, and it would be nice to think some people
might find some of it useful in the future

Ron Stephens

http://www.awaretek.com/plf.html