windows to linux pickled objects?

Stephen Boulet stephen at theboulets.net
Wed Nov 28 00:05:08 EST 2001

I pickled a list in windows but couldn't open it in linux without first
running the handy dos2unix program on it.

Is this expected behavior? I thought pickled objects were cross platform?

To provide full disclosure, this might not be python's fault: The python
script resides on an HPUX partition mounted to an NT box. The python that
did the pickling is 2.1 for windows. From a unix shell I gzipped the picked
file and used split on it.

On linux at home I rejoined the parts with cat and gunzipped it. It went
from 1.6 MB to 8.2 MB. Those pickles can get big.

-- Stephen