Does rotor follow a cross-language encryption algorithm ?

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Nov 25 07:24:24 EST 2001

"Werner Schiendl" <ws-news at gmx.at> writes:

> But this does not mean, that one cannot just take one's own C extension and
> link it statically with the interpreter.

I'm not sure about the double negation: Yes, it is very possible to
link your own extensions into the Python interpreter. Just generate an
appropriate config.c (see <libdir>/pythonX.Y/config/config.c for an
example). You need to link it with libpythonXY.a

> Personally, I think the term 'built-in' tells more about whether it is 'in'
> the interpreter (python) binary or a seperate file (no matter if Python or
> C).

As I said: This is a matter of terminology. Of course, terminology
alone doesn't affect at all what you can or cannot do with Python.

> I'd call the modules coming with Python 'The Python Standard
> Library' - but this if of course personal taste.

That would have confuse the OP, who, after being told that rotor is in
the standard library, went straight to the Lib directory and did not
find the source.

Regards,
Martin