Win98 PySol problem

Bill Melcher wpmelcher at snet.net
Sun Nov 25 10:02:17 EST 2001

Hi Matt,

What fun!  After a few nanoseconds of thought, it occurred to me that what I
should do is invoke the Windows Run window type:

python Q:\pysol-4.72\src\pysol.py

and click OK.

Wow!  A ton of messages in the DOS/python window followed by a popup message
named "PySol installation error" that complains that "No cardsets were found
!!!".

OK,

I can get the cardsets from the Russian site and try to figure out where to
put them.  Hung off src (AKA python Q:\pysol-4.72\src\) I would guess.

However, the messages from the compile scroll away far to fast to read. Is
there a way to save these for debugging purposes or just, at this point in
my python education, out of curiosity.

Also, where does the compiled PySol go? Our old friend src? Can I add an
option to direct the compiled out put elsewhere?

I notice that the original PySol src archive does not contain any .pyc
files.  This makes sense to me but the current directories do have .pyc
files last modified 11/24/2001 8:15 AM and I have run the python command
twice today.  My problem is that I do not remember what I did to cause the
compile yesterday and do not understand why the compiles I did today did not
affect the time stamps in my on-disk src directory structure.

More to the point: Where in the documentation do I find the syntax of the
python command itself?

Another topic is a file called ".gdbinit" which contains:

file python
set args -u -t pysol.py

What the heck is this?

Matt, I am sure the other guys who have responded mean well but they and, to
a lesser extent, you do not appreciate the depth of my ignorance of those
things that 'everybody' knows.  The Python documentation goes into great
detail about the language itself and how to program in it.  However, the
really fundamental mechanics of how to get stuff done (especially in Win98)
and who's doing what to whom appears to be missing.

Ah well, if I keep pestering you guys, sooner or later you will tell me what
I need/want to know or just get tired of me and go on to other things.

--
Cheers, Bill
TANSTAAFL!

PS: I cut my programming 'eye teeth' on the IBM 701, then onto the 704,
709x, 704x, Philco 2000, Univac 1108, Univac 494, then IBM 360, followed by
IBM XT and the subsequent IBM AT and IBM PC clones.

I think the most fun machine was the 494 and I had much more fun rewriting
portions of Fortran II (once I snagged the source) than writing code in any
higher level language.

"Matthew Dixon Cowles" <matt at mondoinfo.com> wrote in message
news:zE_L7.19409$H7.3406936 at ruti.visi.com...
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 22:52:56 GMT, Bill Melcher <wpmelcher at snet.net>