python1.5.2 + nt services + COM

Geoff Talvola gtalvola at nameconnector.com
Fri Nov 9 14:36:51 EST 2001

At 12:44 PM 11/9/01 -0500, Steven Scott wrote:
>I'm not specifically using threads, although I am subclassing
>win32serviceutil.ServiceFramework as per the ntservice example that comes
>with win32all...I don't know if it does something with threads, but I'm led
>to believe that it's so.

That's probably the reason it doesn't work.  See Appendix D of Python
Programming on Win32 for a good explanation of threading issues with
COM.  Or if you don't have the book, the short version is, try calling:

         pythoncom.CoInitializeEx(pythoncom.COINIT_MULTITHREADED)

at the beginning of the DoRun method (or if you'd prefer
apartment-threading instead of free-threading, call
pythoncom.CoInitialize() instead).  Also, you should call

         pythoncom.CoUninitialize()

at the end of the DoRun method.

The difference between apartment and free threading is covered pretty well
in Python Programming on Win32.

--

- Geoff Talvola
   gtalvola at NameConnector.com