what happened to Python Cryptography Toolkit?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Fri Nov 16 22:31:07 EST 2001

Peter Wang <pzw1 at cor-no-spam-nell.edu> writes:
> i find quite a few references to Andrew Kuchling's Python Cryptography
> Toolkit on the web, but all the links to actual sources/distributions
> are broken.  also, there doesn't seem to be any mention of it past

See http://www.amk.ca/python/code/crypto.html .  Note that it hasn't
been actively developed in some years (but see below).

> has it been supplanted by something else?  all i want is to easily do
> RSA, preferrably in a platform-independent manner. (if platform
> dependence is unavoidable, unix is preferable.)

No one has written anything which has completely killed off my old
code.  However, the public-key support is definitely the weak point;
it works, but it's non-standard and won't interoperate with anything
else.  If you want SSL, use M2Crypto; if

And this is as good as time as any to say that I'm hoping to revive
development of the code (but then, I said that a few months ago).  See
http://www.sf.net/projects/pycrypto/ for pointers to the CVS tree and
the pycrypto-checkins mailing list.  Send me your SourceForge ID if
you want check-in privileges.  Discussion should take place on the
python-crypto list at
http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/python-crypto.html, which is
hosted outside of the US.  (Who knows what will happen to cryptography
in the post 9-11 world?)

--amk