Stackless, thread paradigm and C extensions

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Wed Nov 7 22:44:36 EST 2001

In article <7x8zditn72.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin
<phr-n2001d at nightsong.com> writes:

| Yes, it's a standard idiom of continuations to implement coroutines
| with them.

| One virtue of using kernel threads is in principle the kernel threads
| can take advantage of multiple hardware CPU's.  Python's global
| interpreter lock stops that from happening, but I thought there was
| some hope the lock might go away someday.

i don't think anyone has come up with a reasonably way of implementing
"free threading" yet, since the last time it was tried it caused
everything to slow down so much. probably for good performance
reference counting would have to be dropped in exchange for a less
predictable garbage collection system, and the python internals
sprinkled with fragile locks.

threads suck, use fork :)

  -- erno