Request for Validation of Python as Development Language

Chui Tey teyc at bigfoot.com
Tue Nov 13 16:05:58 EST 2001

You have to be fairly certain your shop *needs* python:

1. Do your apps need to be deployed on non-MS Operating Systems? If not, you
are better off sticking to the standard fare from MS, since their
development environment for .net is without peer - changing code in place,
re-stepping through code, blah ...
2. Do you need certain libraries that are available in python and not
available in MS languages?
3. Do you need to perform introspection beyond what MS languages offer?

For me personally, I found Python useful to prototype and test ideas. Once I
get a working algorithm, I just port it back to VB. Python has lists and
dictionaries and the language supports these types well. I find typing
a={'key':'value'} a lot easier than set a= new dictionary: a("key") ="
Value". Similarly, the Collections class in VB is very limited compared to
the python list.