Linux/Alpha memory leaks

Peter Åstrand astrand at lysator.liu.se
Mon Nov 12 17:14:39 EST 2001

I have some problems with memory leaks in a web application, written in
Python. It works good on Sparc/Solaris and Linux/i386 (uses < 10 MB on
these platforms), but in Linux/Alpha the application consumes > 50 MB in
less than 24 hours. Since the Python application works good on two other
platforms, I assume the problem is either Python or glibc. More details:

The application is "WebKOM" (available from
http://www.lysator.liu.se/lyskom/klienter/webkom/). It's an
threaded FastCGI-application. The Alpha system, which leaks memory, is a
RedHat 7.1 with latest upgrades. I've also tried RedHat 6.2.

I've tried Python 2.1.1 and 2.2b1+, compiled with gcc 3.0.2. The app uses
the following modules:

cgi codeop cStringIO dircache errno fcgi Formtools gettext HTMLcolors
HTMLgen HTMLutil os os.path popen2 pwd random re readline select socket
stat string sys sz_fcgi thread time traceback types

Any ideas or hints on how I can debug this problem?

--
/Peter Åstrand <astrand at lysator.liu.se>