MultiThread Socket on NT

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 16 19:08:37 EST 2001

On Friday 16 November 2001 14:26, David Bolen wrote:
> Cliff Wells <logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> writes:
> > Be sure you are using at least SP5.  NT 4 had serious threading issues
> > prior to that.
>
> Do you have any pointers or references to what the problem was?  I've
> been using multi-threaded applications (although not a high density
> connection server) under NT4 SP4 without any observable problems.

It's been around three or four years since I encountered that, so the
details are pretty vague now.... I was writing an instant messaging server
that spawned a thread for every incoming connection (not the best way, but
it was my first attempt at network programming, multithreading and my
first Python program to boot =).  I was stress-testing my server and I had
an adjustable parameter limiting the number of threads allowed at any one
time.  If I set this higher than, say 20 (highly questionable if that's
the number), NT would flake out (I think to the point of BSOD, but I can't
recall).  Anyway, without changing any code, applying SP5 fixed it, and I
seem to recall that threading was one of the issues addressed in SP5.

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer