Extending with C/C++

John D. Gorman jdgorman at ieee.org
Thu Nov 15 02:45:10 EST 2001

Kevin,
    There's a copy of compile.py in Hammond & Robinson's Python
Programming for Win32; see Chap 22.
The O'Reilley site has a zip bundle of examples at:
http://examples.oreilly.com/pythonwin32/ .
I haven't used it with Python2.1/2.2.  It'll definitely need some
modifications.
You also need Mark Hammond's win32 extensions if you don't already have
them
(bundled w/ ActiveState's Active Python, available at the following link
otherwise:
 http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython/Extensions/Win32all
)

    That said, you should really use distutils.  It has support for Win32
and assumes MSVC (cl.exe, etc.)
Check out the setup.py and setup_all.py scripts in the Numeric module at
numpy.sourceforge.net.
It'll definitely make things easier if you ever have to distribute your
code too.