Python, licenses and CVS

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Wed Nov 28 18:15:15 EST 2001

Paul Rubin <phr-n2001d at nightsong.com> writes:

> CVS is a layer over RCS that lets multiple people work on the same
> files at the same time, and automatically merges their changes at
> check-in.  I don't see any point to it for a one person project.  RCS
> is a lot simpler.  I use RCS for one-person projects and couldn't live
> without it.  But I haven't found a reason to deal with the increased
> complexity of CVS.  Is there one?

Actually, CVS hasn't really been a layer above RCS for some time now,
although it did start that way.  The file formats are compatible, but
CVS has internal routines for handling I/O to them nowadays.

And yes, I routinely stick with CVS for all my personal projects as
well.  The automatic recursion and manipulation of full project
directories are much more efficient than trying to do it with RCS as
soon as you get above one or two files.  It's also more convenient to
have a single repository for all my personal work rather than RCS
subdirectories strewn around the filesystem, or individual ",v" files
within source directories.

I may sometimes do direct ci/co with RCS if I'm truly working on a
single standlone file, but generally even then I just create a new CVS
directory to work from.

--
-- David