RE Module Question.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Nov 6 00:37:58 EST 2001

In article <yZJF7.2438$Ly1.2068267 at newsrump.sjc.telocity.net>, Adonis Vargas wrote:

> i am trying to fidn specific word within a string and am unable to
> findanything suitable for it,
>
> test = "this is a test"
> if "test" in test: print "found string."

You have two choices:

1) Use the index method: it returns integer if string is found,
   throws exception if it isn't:

   test = "this is a test"
   try:
       i = test.index("test")
       print "found at position",i
   except ValueError:
       print "not found"

2) Use the find method: it returns -1 if string not found

   test = "this is a test"
   i = test.find("test")
   if i >= 0:
      print "found at position",i
   else:
      print "not found"

If all you want is a boolean test, then find() is probably
simpler option:

   if test.find("test") >= 0:
      print "found string"

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Youth of today! Join
                                  at               me in a mass rally