Considering getting into Python... Any Pros-Cons?

Achim Domma achim.domma at syynx.de
Mon Nov 5 13:54:39 EST 2001

Hi,

> Although I think this is a good idea, I haven't personally done it, for
> whatever reason.  Instead, I've typically coded speed-sensitive things
> entirely in C/C++, and non-speed-senstive things entirely in Python.

I have used the boost library to use Python and C++ together. In my opinion
this is the most powerfull language combination available at the moment.
Beside some very specialized things (you will still need SQL to query a
database) I don't know of any problem that I could be solved faster and
cleaner in other languages.

Another important 'pro' of python is the free choice of how to develop code.
You can 'hack' a small script together very fast and don't have to care
about OO programming, but in larger projects you have all OO features
available. Generic programming is also no problem. I hate languages like
Java which force you to use only on paradigma.

greetings
Achim