Python evangelists unite!

Milliken, Peter Peter.Milliken at GTECH.COM
Thu Nov 29 22:46:40 EST 2001

Ah, you said the magic in your opening lines "C++....". A maintainers life
line - job security forever! The number of "large" projects that have used
C++ just make me laugh all the way to the bank :-).

A more cruddy language for implementing large projects I have never seen.
But, as one manager used to argue, "I can get plenty of C++ programmers...."
- despite the technical arguments for why C++ is a disaster of a language
for large projects. I have no argument that python has probably saved your
bacon many a time on a C++ project - but the base of the argument is
floored. "...several thousand line program that quickly became unmanageable
in C++...." :-). Python is a better language than C++ - I would lay C++
somewhere down the bottom of any list for implementing "largish" projects (I
term "large" projects in millions of lines not thousands - sorry, I can't
resist bragging :-)).

As for the French - "Au contraire..." - I never could deal with the fancy
stuff :-)

In my opinion (:-)), C (and hence it's backward compatible "big brother")
are "old" languages - neither of which I would choose from a software
engineering principle perspective - but here I get onto ground that has been
argued before (see the extensive thread on whether to implement an Air
Traffic Controller in Python [comp.lang.python] - many people who
participated in that thread know my opinions :-)).

As for the poor coding habits of the projects that you have participated,
you have my sympathy many times over :-). People keep making the same
mistakes, that is one of the nice things about the software industry -
nobody (appears) to want to learn from previous pioneers (how many people
reading this have Steve McConnells book, Code Complete on their shelve -
excellent book because if you read and practice that you will save yourself
about 15-20 yrs of blundering around the coding world :-)). It all keeps
people like me in a job (I currently work maintaining a "largish" C product
:-)).

So, sorry mate, I accept you have a place for Python, but all you are
proving is my original statement. That different languages have different
places. Have you ever seen the purported interview with Stroustrop about
C++? I personally believe it to be true! :-).

So, "Au contaire" to you too (and thanks for taking the bait :-))

Peter