RANSOM DEMAND: Image Held Hostage!

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Sun Nov 18 14:24:33 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Ocean" <zope at thewebsons.com>

> I need a way to size up images via script. Now, in that inferior scripting
> language known as PHP, *they* have such a tool: getimagesize().

When you say "size up" you mean to retrieve the image dimensions?  All this
time I thought you wanted to *resize* the images!

> Can it be
> that God's gift to scripting languages, Python, can't compete here? If
it's
> true that PHP has one up on us here, how can I write a script that bridges
> this dastardly gap?

There are two options that come to mind... the Pythonware Imaging Library
at pythonware.com, and the GDmodule (which I currently maintain) at
http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/gdmodule.html

Using GDmodule, you'd say

    import gd
    img = gd.image("filename.goes.here.jpg")
    print img.size()

to print the tuple of (x,y) dimensions of the picture.

Actually changing the size would be harder, requiring allocation of a new
empty image of the correct size, followed by using the img.copyResizedTo()
method.