A Python GUI Book.

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 14 02:24:46 EST 2001

Robert Amesz <sheershion at mailexpire.com> wrote:
> Steven Rumbalski wrote:

>> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
>> wrote in message news:<3beedf26 at nntp.server.uni-frankfurt.de>...
>>
>>> What do you think would be a good application to show the basics
>>> and a few more sophisticated topics in programming GUI
>>> applications with Python?
>>
>> My $.02:
>>
>> How about a simple text editor?  Whatever application you present
>> you should probably have either an appendix or an early chapter
>> explaining the code that will stay the same across each
>> implementation.

> That's trivial if you use a standard display component (e.g. the
> wxTextCtrl or wxStyledTextCtrl for wxPython) or very hard if you're
> starting from scratch.

Not so very hard, it appears. In my book on PyQt I have built a
complete example around a standard text editor control (QMultiLineEdit),
because there were all kinds of things I wanted to show, like working
with dialogs and so on.

But now I'm extending this with an editor control that's completely
written in Python, and it turns out to be very feasible. The actual editor
part is done, and the redisplay mostly. I'm using Craig Finseth's book,
The Craft of Text Editing (http://www.finseth.com/~fin/craft/index.html),
as a guide, so you can say that I'm working on the first Python
implementation of Emacs :-).

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org