Benefits of moving from Python to Common Lisp?

Alex alext_lisSPAMFILTERXYZZYts at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 21:25:54 EST 2001

On 13 Nov 2001 21:37:37 -0800, cpr at emsoftware.com (Chris Ryland) wrote:

>(a) could be tackled, if someone were seriously inclined, by getting
>the Python folks to agree on an intermediate Lisp-like syntax (lists),
>and letting people use either the normal Python syntax or the
>lower-level syntax, which would then admit of macros and "easy little
>languages".

Wouldn't that be great? Sort of Dylan with a meta-programming emphasis...

We're also not that far from the land of Parrot, and should be proposing
that Parrot use a syntax-tree intermediate language (like Forth) instead of
bytecode (like .NET and Java),

There was some discussion of these approaches for Scheme implementations -
see c.l.scheme subject "bytecode v. syntax tree" from last August. One
pointer from there was to work by Anton Ertl on compiler back-ends:
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/projects/backends.html

Now that would be *different*....

cheers
alex