PHP vs. Python/comp.lang.php?

stephen cox stephen at stephencox.org
Fri Nov 23 00:08:06 EST 2001

> 2. I also need something practical to get away from the borg; I made
> a big mistake during the 1990s and moved from Clipper to Visual Basic,

MS's new .NET Framework is impressive. And believe it or not it works. And
you can use Python as you lang of choice if you prefer. Also supported are
J#, C#, C, Cobol, and of course VB (ASP w/VB. No more VBA). Another shocker
is that the Framework is available for free. And MS is porting it to Linux
and FreeBSD. Also you do not need Visual Studio (which is crap. Even the new
one). I use Dreamweaver for design work, and do my scripting in ASP, or PHP
depending on the job. I'm also learning Python.. and plan to use Python to
replace PHP and ASP.

Oh, I too made the same mistake moving from xBase (Fox, dBase, Clipper) to
VB and regret it. Although FoxPro was acquired by MS a few years ago, they
still treat it like a step child. It's the best damn desktop DBMS in the
world. And the play it down all the time.

--
Stephen Cox
web.net geek for non-profits, political campaigns, and a few socially
stephen at stephencox.org

news:3bfe9816.152519843 at news.cortland.com...