Non-Indented python

Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale wzdd at lardcave.net
Fri Nov 30 09:31:23 EST 2001

On 30 Nov, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:

> There is no need to ban tabs, or to ban spaces, or to ban mixing
> indents (whether it's mixing tabs with spaces on the same line or
> mixing indentation methods on differnent lines belonging to the same
> block). Just ban non-standard tab sizes and the problem is solved.

This isn't directed at Marcin, but I don't understand why people keep
going on about this, because it's not accomplishing anything.

 * Most tab-indent users won't become space users
 * Most space-indent users won't magically change into tab users
 * The above quoted para won't convince anyone who uses 4-char tabs
   to switch over, especially since 8-char tabs is only demonstrably the
   "standard" when you're dealing with the Python interpreter.

Nobody has presented a convincing argument for tabs-only, spaces-only,
or 8-char tabs only, because there isn't one. Everyone's smart enough to
recognise a vi/Emacs holy war when they see one; why is the tab/space
war any different?

Based on my experience, the solution is to have a programming standard
within your project.

Mixed tabs and spaces makes me feel icky inside regardless,
Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale