Anyone Using BlackAdder?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 19 01:33:46 EST 2001

A. Keyton Weissinger <keyton at weissinger.org> wrote:
> I asked about Python IDEs yesterday (or so) and many of you responded (thank
> you). One particularly interesting suggestion was BlackAdder. I'm playing
> with the Demo copy and am about to drop my real money on it, but wanted to
> ask the group.

> Anyone using this? Considerations?

> I'm not a huge user of debuggers and it seems that BlackAdder == Qt Designer
> + PyUIC + Debugger.

Plus a version of the Scintilla editor.

> Don't get me wrong. It's very nice and well put together. I just don't want
> to slap down the coin if I can help it.

That depends on how comfortable you are without integration - eric, the
debugger included in PyQt isn't as good as the debugger in BlackAdder,
but does work. Another consideration is distribution: if you want to
sell apps commercially on Windows, then you might prefer BlackAdder pro
above buying a commercial Qt license.

As for myself, I've used BlackAdder while writing the book on PyQt, but
I mostly use XEmacs nowadays. There's something to be said for using
one editor to write fiction, articles, sgml, Java and Python and
anything else...

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org