help - Create dll

Robert Amesz mailto
Wed Nov 7 20:37:19 EST 2001

Bill Bell wrote:

> "Glauco Silva" <glauco.silva at iti.gov.br>
>> How can i create a dll file ( C dynamic library) from windows to
>> be imported by python.
>
> You have a few options:
>
> [Snipped]

You missed one: by far the simplest way is to use distutils, which then
is able to call the VC++ compiler and linker to build the dll (although
by default it wil get the extension .pyd, but that's irrelevant). Works
like a charm. By making a small batch file with the single line "python
setup.py install" I could build from within the SciTE editor, and thus
catching the output of the compiler, which allowed me to simply
doubleclick to jump to any syntax errors in my sources.

Robert Amesz