Database in a simple ascii file

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Nov 28 18:28:50 EST 2001

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
> > If you are really concerned about performance, you will
> > always be able to get more than a 10 times speedup by
> > switching to a compiled language over Python.
>
> always?

Definitely not always.  Sometimes it is clearer to be
absolute, if somewhat untruthful...

(Otherwise I would have had to say something like,
in the sort of situation you are encountering, given
the sort of code one would tend to write in that situation,
and considering the context in other ways, you could
probably expect to get somewhere between 1 and 300 times
speed improvement by rewriting the application in
a compiled language, depending on the language chosen,
although the overall speedup would be somewhat less
if you chose to profile your code and optimize only
the performance-critical portions.) <wink>

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com