Are there any list comparison optimizations in Python?

Marco Antoniotti marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu
Tue Nov 13 10:09:40 EST 2001

jbperez808 at yahoo.com (Jonathan P.) writes:

> One of Python's most convenient high-level features is automatic list
> comparison by value and recursively.
>
> Does it know to optimize the compare if it has already been determined
> that two items share a reference to the same object by not doing a
> value compare on them anymore?
>
> And will this apply to both the comparison and remove() calls above?

Interesting concept.  In Common Lisp you can program it in the
language.  A first cut/draft could be.

(defun equal* (l1 l2)
  (cond ((eql l1 l2) t)
	((null l1) nil)
	((null l2) nil)
	((equal* (first l1) (first l2))
         (equal* (rest l1) (rest l2)))))

Of course, there is nothing in the ANSI spec that forbids an
implmentor to build EQUAL and EQUALP in this way (actually I assume
this is the way things are built - have not checked though).

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.