PHP vs. Python/comp.lang.php?

Max M maxm at normik.dk
Thu Nov 22 05:06:05 EST 2001

"the Spinning Spider" <theSpinningSpider at HotMail.Com> wrote in message
news:9tia10$43o$1 at dahlia.singnet.com.sg...

> I notice there doesn't seem to be much mention about PHP by Python people
> whenever they mention other languages,
> e.g.,see http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html.

I think you will find that the general concensus is that Python is a
"complete" language. Which PHP is not. Python can be used for both web
scripting and, shell scripting, application development, small tools and gui
apps. And is very good at all of them. Wheras PHP is only useable for
scripting web pages.

Furthermore PHP kind of forces you to write web-apps in one way with
presentation and logic mixed. Also when your web-apps can do all the
standard fare that is the staple of PHP you will suddenly need some feature
that's not available in PHP. Then it is  much easier to use the Python
standard library to roll your own solution.

> Or is it because PHP is incomparable against Python?

They can certainly be compared, but once you know Python you are less likely
to use PHP for much. That said, I have often used PHP for simple form mail
and database views. It's often installed by default at customers isp's. So
it's faster to whip something up in it, rather than trying to get Python to
as cgi.

> Will Python be too intellectually challenging, like Java?

No ... Python will fit your brain, and you can basically do the same as with
Java.

Regards Max M